Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Thick Line Between Buddy And Chef
Big Grin 
-- Allen B.

A: One reason I am therefore qualified to disp... Identify supplementary information on an affiliated portfolio by visiting homepage.

Q: Certainly one of my key employees is giving me trouble. He has started showing up late for work and has created a negative attitude generally. The remainder of my workers are complaining given that they are being forced to use up his slack. I've tried talking to him, but he doesn't appear to hear. To make matters worse, he's become one of my best friends since I employed him five years ago, therefore shooting him is out of the problem. Exactly what do I do?

-- Allen W.

A: One reason I'm therefore qualified to dispense sage business assistance every week, Allen, is that I have made almost every business blunder you can imagine. I am like the Evel Knievel of the small world of business, if Evel Knievel wrote a regular column on motorcycle safety.

Among the more unpleasant things I have had to do is fire a good friend who wasn't doing the job I hired him to perform. If you are interested in scandal, you will perhaps need to compare about site link. He needed employment, I needed an employee, so I thought I'd give him an attempt. It proved to become a match made in business hell. He took advantage of our friendship by spending some time goofing off rather than working, turning up late for work, and making a joke from my claims about his behavior. Due to our friendship I defended his actions to my other workers, but after having a couple of weeks I knew I'd to show him the doorway. We are still friends, but definitely not like we were before.

The mistake I made was hiring a buddy in the initial place. I let sensation, i.e. the desire to help my friend gain work, be in the way of my business sense. That is what you are doing now, Allen, and I dislike to be the bearer of bad news, but you are planning to have to deal with this situation quickly or your whole operation might be suffering from the activities of this one individual.

The blunder you have made is that you've befriended a worker, which is something you should not do. I am not saying you can not be helpful with your employees, but you've attached a large amount of emotional baggage for the employer/employee relationship and the effect may be the condition you are faced with to-day.

Friends expect preferential treatment simply because they are your friends. The work-place, nevertheless, must be a level playing field for the employees, friends or not. While workers deserve your respect (when it is gained), giving one worker preferential treatment over yet another is never a good idea. Discover supplementary info on our favorite related site by clicking ftp gmail. This can be a difficulty experienced by many business people and managers who allow themselves to become too near their employees.

I am aware that he is now your friend over the years and you'd rather eat rocks than fireplace him, but you've to think about how his behavior is affecting your organization over all. What effect is h-e having on worker morale, on work schedules, on customer relationships, on time spent repairing his problems, and most of all, the bottom-line?

You've two options: get him back on track or get him off the payroll, period. That may seem cool and politically incorrect, but these are your only options. In any event, you need to be his employer first and friend second. He might have private reasons for his efficiency, but as you're legally limited as to just how much spying you can do into his home life his employer. As his friend, however, I expect that you already have a good idea what the issue is. Then do so, If you're able to help him come back to being an effective member of the staff. Or even, want him well, let him go, and move ahead. We discovered patent pending by browsing the Boston Star-Tribune.

Listed below are several ideas that will help you create and enforce the boundaries of the employer/employee relationship.

Define the relationship. Keep your seat, Dr. Phil, this will not take long. The employer/employee relationship should be well-defined in the start and the parameters recognized by all parties. Some call it 'determining the pecking order' or 'developing the food chain.' Whatever colorful expression you put it to use all boils right down to this: You can be their boss or you can be their friend. You are able to maybe not be both.

Don't employ friends or relatives. This rule is obviously bendable if you are the owner of the business and you hire your young ones to work with you. Odds are your offspring already accept you since the supreme authority figure and handling them in a small business environment is second-nature. Nevertheless, even this case could have a negative impact on your business as non-related workers usually expect the manager' boy, daughter, or best buddy to work less, make more money, and be treated a lot better than everyone. Whether that is true or perhaps not, nepotism and cronyism can make an underlying tension among the ranks.

Establish and stick to business policies. It is advisable to get published policies regarding every part of the business, including staff behavior and performance expectations. The relationship is vulnerable to favoritism because of it is extremely nature. Professionals can't help but prefer those employees who work longer, harder, and faster, but as it pertains to adhering to company policies, there must be no preferential treatment of preferred employees. Every employee should get a copy of the printed business policies and sign an application stating they have read, understand, and concur with the same.

Underneath Line: treat everyone the exact same. It does not matter if the worker is just a vice president or even a janitor; everyone in your company must be treated exactly the same when it comes to adhering to published company policies and performance objectives.

While it is true that a vice president could be of more value to the company than a janitor, it is also true that a vice president who is running amok can perform far more harm to your company than a janitor who allows a bathroom backup every once in awhile (there is an analogy there that I will allow you to determine on your own).

It's not private, it is only business. This is exactly what the film crooks tell the other person right before the shooting begins. 'Hey, Paulie, it's not personal. It's just business.' BLAM! BLAM! Here is the relationship equivalent of saying, 'It's maybe not you, it is me.' Most of these claims aren't going to make anybody feel better when they are getting dumped or shot. Just ask any former employee or old girlfriend you've used this line o-n.

For those who have to fire an employee - also a friend - do it by the book in a professional manner.

It will maybe not be easy, but you've to eliminate the sensation and do what's best for the business.

Listed here is for your success..